Sunday, July 27, 2014

Tree of Life Pendant

This craft was a fun one, and is very versatile in the way you can customize it, mess up, or anything else, and it still ends up looking cool and generally impressive.
I started out with just a normal keychain ring as my base.
I snapped it at the top where it doesn't overlap, forming two complete circles.
I then cut 16 pieces of wire, about 2 inches long each.
I twisted them into pairs, like so, leaving the ends of each one open.
I then twisted those into pairs again, and decided that 8 was plenty for the size circle I was doing- which made 16 the perfect amount for both circles, though that hadn't been my original intention.
I folded all of the ends on one side over to act as the roots, then folded the other ends over the top in a semi-tree-looking shape. As it turns out, once you finish twisting and such, two inches isn't quite enough for the one inch circle I had, so adding a half inch of length to that would be a good idea.
This was the other side of the same tree- as you can see, the top didn't have quite the length of overlap as the roots.
I then clipped the extra overlap, so the amount didn't matter as much as I thought. Still, having it to wrap around more than just fold was nice.
I then added a pearl bead on another piece of wire to serve as a kind of 'moon' decoration.
To finish up, I wrapped the edge in gold wire, then added a loop for it to be strung onto a keychain or necklace.

No comments:

Post a Comment