Thursday, September 12, 2013

T-shirt Infinity Scarf

   I've really started wearing infinity scarves a lot lately. I'm not quite sure why, but something about scarves I've always liked, and combining that with the no-ends-to-get-in-the-way factor of infinity scarves just make them perfect. Plus, I don't have to constantly feel like I need to fix or rearrange my scarf this way.
   In any case, now that we've established that I like wearing these scarves, lets also establish that I really like making them, too. There are so many different ways of doing this, and this is just one of many. This way is, arguably, harder than many other ways, but I'm pleased with the result.

This is the scarf looped twice around my neck. At the end of the post, you'll also see pics of it looped once (not at all), three times, and four times. Each way is just a different look, all of which have some sort of application. I wear my scarves this way usually when I'm trying to look slightly more formal.

 I started this project with an old T-shirt I got by abandonment, and I felt no problem with cutting it up because
1) it had holes
2)I've been wanting a stripey scarf, and this material looks/feels comfy
Unfortunately for me, this particular Tshirt had a funky elastic thing in its seams, I'm sure to be stylish somehow...
 This is a close up of said annoying elastic. I unpicked this, but it turned out to be something of a redundant step.
 This is the tshirt after I unpicked the elastic (bigger looking now, can you tell?)
 And this is the shirt after I cut off the side seams and sleeves, and cut the shirt in half. This is the reason unpicking turned out to be redundant. Of course, it made it easier to measure half, but not a big deal.
 At this point, I had two strips that looked like this in the middle.
 I solved this by cutting the whole neckline piece out. The nice thing about my stripey shirt is that I could just cut along the stripe closest to the seam, and end up with a straight line that way.
 Of course, this left me with 4 pieces rather than 2, but it's fine, since the end sizes were all the same.

At this point, I sewed three of the pieces (the two longs and one of the shorts) together, just adding on until I got the length I wanted, then sewed it into a tube, and finished it off, in much the same way as in my earlier scarf post.

Sorry for no pics, but it didn't occur to me until afterwards to take any.
One thing you should take note of: If you are doing stripes, make sure to line them up when sewing your tube. It doesn't have to be perfect, but being completely off will just look bad. With smaller stripes, this gets super obnoxious really fast. Stick with it- it's worth it, trust me. You'll have a lot more satisfaction with your end product.

As you can see, this scarf turned out a bit thinner and ropier than some, but it's also about as long as you want an infinity scarf. Or, at least, about as long as I  want one.
 Doubled over, as seen earlier, it looks like this.
 If you add another loop, it looks like this.
And another (4 loops total, now) looks like this. Usually  can only fit 3 around my head, but since this material is a bit stretchy, and the scarf is a tiny bit longer than some others I've made, I could get this many around.. and I think I like it the best this way. For casual wear, anyway.

In any case, enjoy! These are by no means the only ways of wearing your new scarf, so experiment and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment