Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Shark Tooth Pendants

 Again, a continuation of the shark tooth crafts. When you have a lot of baby teeth, it is often easy just to feel as if throwing them away is the easiest thing to do. However, with a little work, they can look quite cool, when added to pendants like this.
 The trick to these beauties is polymer clay. The two most  popular brands are Sculpey and Fimo, though there are generic brands as well. I got a 1 lb box of white Sculpey clay from WalMart for $5. Though it can get expensive, it doesn't need to be.
 This pendant I didn't take many pictures of. It was supposed to be something of a fish hook- shaped thing, with shark teeth jutting out the back.

To do this, I rolled a ball, flattened it with a bit jutting out in a roughly 'd' shape, then used a knife and a pencil to cut out the angled parts. Then, I pressed the shark teeth into the back end, and rubbed some extra clay over their bases.
 I started this one, again, with a ball of clay which I flattened to about 1/8" tall.

I then used a pencil to bore a hole through it, to put a jump ring through later.
Then, I just pushed in shark teeth where I wanted them. I chose to put s bunch of smaller teeth around the edges, with two medium teeth in a roughly heart shape in the middle.









At this point, the magic of polymer clay happens: you bake it, and it hardens. So, I stuck these pendants in the oven. The directions on the box say to put them in at 270 or 300 for 15 for every 1/4" of thickness. Given that both of these were about 1/4" tall, I only needed about 7 minutes. I baked them for 10, and I got this pseudo-burnt browning on the outsides. Be careful that you don't actually burn them. When they were finished, I attached a jump ring to the round one, and wrapped the hook one in gold wire with a hook on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment